Thursday, February 17, 2005

To tea or not to tea...

This post is dedicated to Saurabh/Sade/Pondy... whichever name you use to call him... and his obsession with tea...

I'm sitting here on my desk and drinking what he calls "dip-tea"... (I really don't know the lingo but I'm fast learning!)... it was more of a mistake, a cramp in the finger (or was it fate??) that made me press the wrong button on the coffee machine... and sitting here sipping this brownish liquid, I really can't imagine what the fascination is all about.

It's not that I haven't drunk tea before... in India, every household expects you to have tea even if it's 45 degree outside. You sit at a place for 5 minutes and a cup is thrust in your hand... and of course, rather than go into answering the quizzical, "You don't drink tea??", it's better to just start sipping.

"Is the sugar ok?"

Hell, I don't know!! And anyways, since I'm sure no amount of sugar would make it taste like orange juice (with ice!!), who cares??!

I've had the discussion with Saurabh many times... and till now, I haven't got an explanation from him... what is it that makes tea irresistable?? For him it's a question that doesn't require an answer... it just is that way...

"Kya Misra, tum chai nahi peete?" is something I often get stuck up with... the dude has even suggested that I should have drunk tea in the change-over breaks during my tennis match... that's the way to win, he implied...

My reply was a "Yeah right!" till yesterday morning... when I woke up to Sania Mirza's first ad on TV... yup, at 8 in the morning I saw Sania drink Tata tea and go on to win the match...

"I told you Misra, I told you!"

And so here I am, with a cup of "dip-tea" in hand... wondering whether I should fill this concoction in a bottle when I head to my next match (God knows when that's gonna be!)...

Well, maybe if they can get Federer to endorse it...!!

5 comments:

m. said...

hi. SUPER blog... i just read some 4/5 entries, and theyre so nice! youve a sunny, chirpy blog happening! keep it up you folks :-)

Anonymous said...

Nice to know that now, you have started thinking so much abt tea... so u got inspired by sania, haan? keep it up!!! u r indeed learning fast man. and in case u need more inspiration anytime, u can turn on to the yana gupta real-life story where she falls in love while drinking tea!!!

Saurabh

The Tobacconist said...

oye! pande has all these quirks man. did he tell you he loves sweeping. he was the Wing Jhadoookar. Usually after a cup of coffee in the mess he'd reach for his broom a la Hari Putter style.

i am surprised he didn't tell you this.

ankit said...

Way to go Rahul. This thing had to have a mention in the blog.
And ya, you could have probably added Vijju as he is the T-partner for Sade.

Anonymous said...

FUCK OFF U GUYS
I M SANIA MIRZA N U CAN NOT MAKE FUN OF ME LIKE THIS I CAN SUE U
N PUT U BEHIND THE BARS
N THERE U WILL NOT EVEN GET SIMPLE TEA
FORGET BOUT SANIA SPECIAL TATA TEA