Tuesday, September 07, 2004

MBA and other fads...

A few days back there was this big discussion back at BITS on Is IT it?

And I thought , now that's an interesting thought. But today i read (read it here) this article on Rediff on how the IIM and other B-Schools showed an inclination for engineering students or atleast the admission patterns do. And this thing flashed in my mind? Has an MBA degree gained more importance all of a sudden and why? Should the question now not be Is MBA it?

I have seen in my batch a mob mentality among students to try out their hands at CAT even if they don't have a fuckin' idea about management. Ask anyone of them and they give that same old bull crap about how they always wanted to do something that has to do with management rather than writing a "stupid" code. I mean I am sick of the nonsense. Would anyone still take up management jobs if they paid some 4 lacs per annum or if "stupid" software jobs paid 12 lacs. I bet my ass they wouldn't. I mean give me a break guys. Will none of you ever do something original? I mean you say you got into the "stupid" engineering thing because of the parents. Now aren't you getting forced into doing an MBA degree just because you cannot resist that fat pay check. I have this EEE friend who was a very enthued EEEite till about a year back. He would not take up a EEE job because he is not interested in EEE now. He will not take up a stupid software job beacuse he doesn't wanna be one amongst the crowd. But he will ghot hi ass off for CAT doing those stupid numbers to get in there. He will go for a Schlumberger interview because he feels the job is challenging. Cut the crap and have the guts to accept the fact that all you care about is the fuckin' money. Will anyone ever do what he/she wants in this seemingly god forsaken country. We have the brightest minds in the country who have graduated from engineering college's throwing down 4 years of education to tarin for next two years as a manager and work for some foriegn company and make big buck's. Where will we get the R & D coming in from? Why fuckin' waste an oppurtunity? No one would want to be a teacher (though I guess it's challenging) coz its not their style (or for the truth, man they pay what?? chillars). I have renewed respect for Prof. Cherian and our very own VedP.

I mean people do things because its the hep thing to do or for money. I guess it does not require a rocket scientist to figure out why we have a measly number of Nobel Laureates and world class scientists. Or for that matter small number (an overstatement) of world beaters in all walks of life. There aren't many Tendulkars to give up education because he knew all he wanted to do was to play. There aren't many VedP's who would give up everything coz maybe he loved teaching.

Are there????

No comments: