Friday, September 03, 2004

Of Audi ragging and bug fixes...

The same thing happens every year... First sem starts at BITS and the usual discussions start, how can OASIS be improved, how dumb the UC candidates are... Blab blah blah... And every year, it leads to no change... We're just a bunch of people who can sit and type... Or speak! (Goyal hopes to change that... Amen!)
Cynical, eh?? Well, it's the end of the day, the code I wrote has some runtime bug I can't trace, what do you expect??!
Typing in crap always cheers me up, which is why I'm here...
Mostly, till now, it's been confined to Goyal and me... We've been majorly blabbering about it on this mailing list we have and even had messenger sessions... Bansal, from the one mail he sent, seems hajaar pissed with the Audi ragging session... And particularly unimpressed by the way the EC panel went about it's job... (Ha ha, Goyal was on the panel... I sense a coldwar!!) Everyone else... We haven't had a comment in yet... Those Infy chaps seem busy with compres, majorly ghoting... Compres after college, sucks man! And Ankit as usual is dunno-where... A total repeat of BITS seems to be happening in Bang, and there is no Meghs around! Anyways, to be fair on him (he'll edit this post otherwise!), he's working pretty hard.
Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm working hard too... It's just that my code doesn't work!!
So, where were we... I think I digressed again... You'll have to get used to that... Whenever Ankit is kind enough to let me in, I'll make good use of mytime in the sun... Touch every topic I can... (Remind me to get to how the Karnataka govt has totally ruined our weekends!)
Anyways, to get back to the topic at hand... Good ol' BITSian electoral reforms! Audi ragging... EC Panel... Well, it seems to have provided a lot of entertainment this time too... Seriously man, an Audi ragging session beats quite a few of those RAF movies at entertainment value... It's a pity CCTV doesn't tape it, I'm sure the Union could make profit out of it. I'd buy it, it's so funny!! I heard this time around someone said the chief job of a campaign managerwas to change slides... I mean, isn't that funny??? After you're done being depressed of course!
Why do we have an audiragging session, Bansal raised that... I'd like to think it's for the first yearites... If you're not a fresher, you've already chosen who you're gonna vote for... Candidate-A or Candidate-B or None-of-these... Or you've decided it's not worth the trouble on a Sunday morning... You'd rather just sleep through the whole voting deal... There was a time when I, a fresher, sat in the Audi hanging on to every word (though the cheers and jeers sometimes made it impossible), trying to take my 'right-to-vote' seriously... I'd like to believe that most of the firstyearites are like I was, who haven't been swayed by the crap of politics yet, who have the minds to try and decide... I'd like to believe those are the people the Audiragging targets...
But then, does it??
Maybe we need to ask ourselves that... There is this whole talk about how inertia drags everything in BITS... It's done because it was done last year... Has the audiragging also become one of those institutions... Last year, it was a joke (seriously, CCTV should have taped it!) inspite of the best efforts of the panel... Seems to have been the same this time around too... Maybe we need to come up with something new... A better system... For the poor first yearites, if nothing else...
My advice to the freshers... Read the interviews that EPC does... They seem to give a better view of the candidates though I haven't got my hands on the latest issue yet... After all, its easier to judge how smart or dumb the replies are when you don't have people shouting from all sides... And if the Audiragging leaves you all frustrated, stop yourself before you go down the cynical road... Coz once you take your first step, there's no coming back...
I'll get back to my code now... (that was quite refreshing!!)
- Rahul

No comments: