Sunday, September 12, 2004

Leaving your education behind...

This was actually gonna be a comment on Goyal's post... but then ended up becoming too long... so, I figured I'd rather post it...

I don't see what the fuss in not leaving your education behind is about... if, after 4 years of studying, a person realizes he's not gonna enjoy himself stuck in this field for the rest of his life, he has every right to leave. The choices most people make about their first degree in India are hardly based on what they're interested in... there's a bit of peer pressure to it, there's a little what everyone thinks would be good for him, there's a little monetary consideration, but mostly it's the fact that he isn't really sure what he's be good at, what he'd enjoy... career counselling is non-existent in this country, he doesn't know what the job will involve... he loves fiddling with wires so he decides to be an Electrical Engineer... but he doesn't make the cut off and ends up with Chemical... or if he does get into it, he finds out that it's not about wires anymore but some silicon chip... what's wrong with him decided to pursure other interests?

I mean, think about it, out of a 900 batch at BITS, how many got first choice? What is wrong with them saying, this sucks, it's not what I wanted, I've had enough... and even if they do get first choice, what wrong in them realizing they made a mistake and deciding to change streams? Personally, if I hadn't made a Comps dual, I'd have left Civil far behind anyways... that's a fact... and there's nothing wrong in that... I don't like designing structures why should I spend my life doing it? Just because I shouldn't leave my education behind? As far as I know, education is for my benefit, and not the other way around. In fact one of the reasons I joined BITS with a Civil degree was because everyone told me the environment there would help me in leaving my education behind, change streams if I wanted to...

The reason can be anything... it can be that I'd rather sit under an AC instead of surveying outside on site... or just the fact that I think there are greater opportunities here... or maybe that I enjoy coding... whatever it is, the point is, education is the means to an end... if it doesn't take me to the end I want, I have every right to pursue what I want, take a 180 degree turn if need be.

You're lucky Goyal, you've found your goal in life sciences... there are many who haven't... and they have every right to keep on searching... even if what they're looking for is a pot of gold... even if they plan on leaving the road they're on completely... even if it means "leaving [their] education behind"...


1 comment:

Goyal said...

Man I am tired of getting misinterpreted..... it's not about leaving your education..... its about leaving for monetary reasons only..... i mean if you are not comfortable with what you do please do not do it..... but more than that people change streams because of money..... and then do not have the guts to accept it..... i remember talking to Dilip D'souza.... he said the only thing he regreted in his life was that he wasted 10 years writing some code when he was meant to be a writer..... he realized that maybe a bit late.... but when he wrote the code he did that with passion..... he hoped people in BITS find out what they want to do before they spent their best years doing something they don't enjoy..... so pleaz change over quickly before you have regrets....

also a good news and a bad news.... the project i am doin this sem has been funded by Dabur Research Foundation.... 12 Lacs for three years.... bad news Dr Das decided to treat us..... he gave us more work..... :((