Friday, September 10, 2004

Of Rediff, Indiatimes and BBC.....

Now that you know who Goyal is I accept the fact that many a times I digress but its what I feel very strongly about and somehow do not find words to express myself. About the last post I meant that i hate the hypocrisy which i thought was evident by the line "Cut the crap and have the guts to accept the fact that all you care about is the fuckin' money." I say fuckin' money because, is it all that we should care about. I know I need the money too but is it all I want?

What are my priorities? I want to do the thinking now and not when I am forty something and sulk about what probably I missed out in life. Don't get me wrong. I am not against earning big money. But you can earn a bit less say and do what you would like to I probably would take it up. I don't wanna later regret that the best years of my life were spent only earning money. All said and done I probably would agree with Rahul that it has to be done in moderation. But please do not leave your education behind. Or atleast try not to.

I still remember the night before the Infosys placement. I was trying hard to convince myself that I should make a job and guess what? I could not. Only after I had asked in the pre placement talk if the company had interest in life sciences could I get myself to go for the Apti. I wanted a job but I also did not want to do something completely unrelated to my education at BITS which is probably why I did not go for the CTS interview. They were paying about 30k more but had nothing to do in life sciences. I did not want to leave my field altogether.

Coming to a good news site. Rahul I have an advice. Try BBC and get a RSS feed read from the site in your Outlook mailbox. I did carry the Indonesia bomb attck story. As for Indiatimes.... forget it. Rediff though is better has still to go a long waybefore it gets to the level of BBC. Also one more thing we need to remember is that perhaps they are not purely news site unlike BBC.

But is that a good enough excuse? Maybe we have become insensitive to human pain. How many of us do really feel pained when people die in J&K? If we do why don't we question the government and it's working. How many of us remember Manipur and that perhaps it's still burning? It has been pushed to the middle pages for long now. All that matters to newspapers is the metros and states which are economically beneficial to them. I guess it all boils down to the same old question.

Is money everything?

1 comment:

Rahul said...

Hey Goyal... I could obviously go to the BBC site... I could even search on Google (I'd better add Yahoo here too!) and go the web fron of an Indonesian news agency... that's not the point... and anyways, whatever it was, going by your post, you got it...